- Category: Research
The BecA-ILRI Hub is leading a set of projects focused on the development of tools to be used to detect and address critical crop and livestock diseases which are posing a significant threat to food security in the region. The diagnostic projects include:
- Development, validation and technology transfer of a lower-tech laboratory and field assay - Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) for Capripoxviruses and Contagious CaprinePleuropneumonia (CCPP), with the Department of Veterinary Services (DVS), Kenya; National Animal Disease Diagnostics and Epidemiology Center (NADDEC), Uganda; Tanzania Veterinary Laboratory Agency (TVLA); Foreign Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory United States Department of Agriculture/Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service/Foreign Animal Diagnostics Laboratory (USDA/APHIS/FADDL), USA.
- LAMP assays for the production of quality passion fruit planting material, with the University of Nairobi in Kenya.
- Developing virus detection tools for the production of virus-free yam planting material, with Mikocheni Agricultural Research Institute (MARI) in Tanzania.
- Developing virus detection tools for the production of virus-free garlic planting material, with EIAR in Ethiopia.
- Developing tissue culture methods suited to the production of quality taro planting material by NARIs, African universities and the private sector, with EIAR in Ethiopia, the University of Burundi and the Institut des Sciences Agronomique du Burundi (ISABU).
- Fighting bacterial diseases of rice through the development of diagnostic tools from genomic information, with partners from Institut de recherche pour le développement (IRD), France; Colorado State University (CSU), USA; and MARI in Tanzania.
- Understanding the landscape of viruses in mixed cropping system African smallholder farms: plant virome ecology and its implications for food security in the face of climate change, with the Food and Environment Research Agency (FERA) UK; Cornell University, USA; University of Nairobi and KARI in Kenya.
Recent News View all News
- Thursday 16th March 2017
- Thursday 9th March 2017
- Friday 3rd March 2017
- Thursday 23rd February 2017