- Written on Tuesday, 30 July 2013 23:08
Call for Applications: Advanced Bioinformatics Worskhop in Nairobi, Kenya August 22 – 28, 2013
The BecA-ILRI Hub capacity building programme seeks to strengthen the capability of the African scientific community to conduct bioscience research and significantly contribute to improved agricultural products that can enhance livelihoods of farmers in the region. As part of this programme, the J. Craig Venter Institute (JCVI) and National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), USA, in collaboration with the BecA-ILRI Hub, will hold a training workshop on Advanced Bioinformatics from 22nd – 28th August 2013. The workshop aims to provide a learning forum for researchers in bioinformatics, computational biology as well as scientists utilizing computational methods in their research.
We are seeking applicants from East and Central Africa who require advanced skills in Bioinformatics to support their research. We will select 25 graduate students and early career researchers, based on evidence of productive research and relevance of training to current research and who are engaged in agricultural research within a national research institute or university.
Selected participants will attend an intensive 5-day workshop at the BecA-ILRI Hub in Nairobi, Kenya. The program includes comprehensive lectures and hands-on training sessions in Next generation sequencing technologies and it's applications to infectious diseases, metagenomics and microbiome analysis–tools and computational approaches to studying viral genomes.
A team of creditable facilitators from JCVI, NIAID and BecA-ILRI Hub will conduct the training sessions.
- A national of one of the BecA East and Central African countries: Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda.
- Affiliated with a national research program or university in the East African BecA region
- Currently engaged in biosciences research
- BSc, MSc or PhD in biological sciences
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken English
- Online application form completed by 8th August 2013: http://hpc.ilri.cgiar.org/beca/training/AdvancedBFX2013/index.html.
- The course website can be accessed at: http://hpc.ilri.cgiar.org/beca/JCVI_NIAID_Bioinformatics_workshop/index.html.
Women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applications received after the 5 August 2013 deadline and incomplete applications will not be considered. Successful applicants will be notified by 9 August 2013. Workshop participants will have to organize their own travel and accommodation costs. Lunch and coffee breaks will be provided during the workshop.
The workshop is funded by the JCVI, Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) through a partnership between Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) and the BecA-ILRI Hub; the Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture (SFSA); the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF); the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs; and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
Thank you for considering this opportunity and we look forward to hearing from you.
Recent News View all News
- Thursday 16th March 2017
- Thursday 9th March 2017
- Friday 3rd March 2017
- Thursday 23rd February 2017