Call for applications: Introduction to Laboratory Management and Equipment Operations Training Workshop
- Written on Monday, 17 March 2014 11:51
Biosciences tools can be used to address many of Africa’s agricultural challenges such as pests, diseases and climatic constraints that result in low crop yields and poor animal productivity. However, opportunities linking modern biosciences to agricultural improvement to solve some of Africa’s major agricultural problems remain largely
The BecA-ILRI Hub hosts and conducts research in crop, microbe and livestock areas where new developments in biosciences and well trained researchers can solve some intractable problems constraining Africa’s food security. For more information about the BecA-ILRI Hub please visit: http://hub.africabiosciences.org/
As part of its capacity building program, the BecA-ILRI Hub will hold a training workshop Laboratory Management and Equipment Operations Training Workshop at the Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST) in Arusha, Tanzania on the 16th- 20th June 2014.
Scope of the training workshop
Efficient management of any laboratory facility is necessary to ensure that research is quality controlled and resources are utilized cost effectively. Laboratory management practices must ensure compliance with legal and regulatory frameworks for health and safety, waste management, import and export of biological materials and biosafety. In addition the management of laboratory equipment is a core function and contributes significantly towards the success of any laboratory. Therefore, good laboratory management skills are necessary for personnel charged with management of these vital facilities.
This course aims to cover the following scope; lab design and classification, lab information management system (LIMS), lab quality control, equipment operations and maintenance. Also included are laboratory health and safety, procurement procedures, shipping of biological samples and materials transfer agreements.
Who can apply/selection criteria
The Hub is seeking applicants from eastern and central Africa region who require basics skills in laboratory management. The training is targeting Laboratory heads or supervisors, Scientists and Laboratory/research technicians. In addition, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be nationals of BecA countries are eligible (Burundi, Cameroon, Central Africa Republic, Congo Brazzaville, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda).
- Strong affiliation with a national agricultural research program or institution or university in any of the above BecA countries.
- Currently engaged in agricultural biosciences research.
- Holders of BSc, MSc or PhD in biosciences or a related subject.
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Have a letter of nomination/recommendation from head of department or institution head.
Women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
- All those interested should fill and submit the online application available at: http://hpc.ilri.cgiar.org/beca/training/Labmanagement2014/index.html
- No other mode of application will be accepted.
- The online application form must be submitted by mid-night, 17th April 2014 (Nairobi time).
- Applications received after the deadline or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Successful applicants will be notified by 19th May 2014.
- The Australia Government Department for Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) through a partnership between Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) and the BecA-ILRI Hub.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs through the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency.
- The Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture.
- The Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology
Thank you for considering this opportunity and we look forward to hearing from you.
Attachments: Concept note IPLMEO.pdf[ ]72 KbDraft Workshop Program[ ]138 Kb
Recent News View all News
- Thursday 16th March 2017
- Thursday 9th March 2017
- Friday 3rd March 2017
- Thursday 23rd February 2017