- Written on Wednesday, 01 April 2015 06:20
The Biosciences eastern and central Africa-International Livestock Research Institute (BecA-ILRI) Hub, in collaboration with the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) and Bio-innovate Africa hereby invites applications for a finger millet annotation jamboree to be held from 25 – 29 May, 2015. This workshop will focus on pre-processing, quality check, assembly and annotation of next generation sequence data for the finger millet genome. The jamboree will be conducted at the ILRI Campus, Nairobi, Kenya.
Eligibility / Applicant requirements
The workshop is generally open to PhD students and early career agricultural researchers with a strong interest in improving their bioinformatics and genomics skills. More specific applicant requirements include the following:
- African scientist with PhD or MSc in any agricultural discipline
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Currently conducting agricultural biosciences research with an African national agricultural research program or university in one of the BecA countries: Burundi, Cameroon, Central Africa Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Kenya, Madagascar, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda.
- Good working knowledge of unix command line is a requirement.
How to apply
Interested eligible scientists / researchers should apply by completing the online application form found here: http://hpc.ilri.cgiar.org/beca/training/Applications/millet/
Participants from previous advanced bioinformatics workshops are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline: 17th April 2015
Information to successful applicants: 24th April 2015
Training dates: 25th – 29th May 2015
There are few funded slots for this workshop. However, applicants who can fund their participation have an added advantage.
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Damaris Odeny,
Recent News View all News
- Wednesday 26th April 2017
- Thursday 20th April 2017
- Thursday 6th April 2017
- Friday 31st March 2017