Training Workshop: Introduction to Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics - call for applications 2017
- Written on Tuesday, 24 January 2017 10:30
The Biosciences eastern and central Africa-International Livestock Research Institute (BecA-ILRI) Hub seeks to strengthen the capacity of the African scientific community to conduct bioscience research that will improve agricultural products and enhance food security in the region. As part of its capacity building programme, the BecA-ILRI Hub in collaboration with the Rwanda Agriculture Board, Rubona Centre will hold a training workshop on Introduction to Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics (IMBB) from 1-12 May 2017.
This call seeks applicants from eastern and central Africa who require basic skills in molecular biology and bioinformatics to support their research. Early career researchers working within national agricultural research systems will be selected based on evidence of productive scholarship and research; relevance of the workshop to current research; and engagement in agricultural research within a national research institute or University. Selected participants will attend an intensive 10-day training workshop at the BecA-ILRI Hub in Nairobi, Kenya. The training will include lectures and hands-on training in pathogen isolation and morphology, nucleic acid purification, molecular diagnosis by polymerase chain reaction (PCR), RLFP-PCR and isothermal nucleic acid amplification (LAMP) PCR, DNA sequencing and bioinformatics among others. Participants will also experience the research discovery process: potentially novel DNA sequences acquired by each participant will be analyzed and discussed during the bioinformatics sessions.
• A national of one of the BecA countries: Burundi, Cameroon, Central Africa Republic, Congo Brazzaville, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda;
• Affiliated with a national research institute or university in the BecA region;
• Currently engaged in biosciences research MSc or PhD (equivalent or higher) in biological sciences;
• Good working knowledge of written and spoken English.
Experts in molecular biology and bioinformatics from the BecA-ILRI Hub and research partners will deliver the training.
There are several funded places for this workshop, on a highly competitive basis. Applicants who can fund their participation will have added advantage. The approximate cost of the course is US$. 1800 excluding flights and accommodation.
Closing date for applications: midnight 17th March 2017 (Nairobi time)
The concept note about this training workshop is available below.
SaveAttachments: Workshop concept note[ ]233 Kb
Recent News View all News
- Wednesday 25th January 2017
- Tuesday 24th January 2017
- Friday 10th February 2017
- Tuesday 7th February 2017